Society & Culture

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dear Senior citizens, what you would had said to Jim, if you were his grandparents ?

Imagine that Jim and Ted are two friends who have grown together and have always shared the same opinion and perception about the things around them.They are now in their pre-teens. Jim had seen how his parents had shifted his grandparents to a old age home when his parents had learnt that Jims dad could not inherit any property from his parents as all the ancestoral property had been sold out to repay the huge loans taken by them to educate Jims father.


Jim : That was so selfish of my parents to treat my grand parents that way


Ted : I agree with you Jim on that one


Jim : My Dad was never grateful to his parents for having given him such good education. It bites me from inside when I think of this.


Ted : Do you go to visit your grandparents ?


Jim : Yeah ! I do. I carry with me some roses and some fruits when I go to visit them on their weekends.


Ted: Thats nice. What do they tell you when you go there ?


Jim: They tell me that I should not become like my father and that I should see that I always remain grateful for whatever my parents have done for me.





What you would had said to Jim if you were his grandparents ?



The grandparents are still guiding Jim in something more valuable than an inheritance of property.


They're teaching him morals, and he's a good student.


They've accepted what has happened and they probably would not change anything. It was their choice to give their son a good education.


That was their way of doing a good job as parents.


And the father is teaching his son how to treat elderly parents, even though he does not realize it.




I think Jim should continue to see his grandparents and to appreciate what he has in life and not to worry about his father who seems to be taking care of himself first, last and always. Jim should make the most of what he has and continue to be more compassionate than his father.




They raised the kid to be a brat and then complained that they were successful.




Mr. Shaikh, are you Jim or Ted? Is Jim's father a rich man, who could afford to buy his parents a home of their own? Are Jim's Grandparents healthy and able to take care of themselves, or do they need constant medical care? Could Jim's parents have them live in their own home with a full-time nurse? Would Jim's mother be able and willing to be that nurse? There are many questions.


Jim should continue to be the caring and compassionate young man that he seems to be and when he is an adult, he may see things differently. Until that time, Jim should withhold judgment of his parents.




Parents make many sacrifices for their children. Well, some do. Some wont and some cant. If they were expecting to be repaid they should have made it evident as a condition for the loan. Perhaps a contract would have been the thing to do. The money I have given my child for college has no conditions, I don't expect to be repaid.





However, it is selfish to reek all the benefits and not in some way repay your parents. Yes, be grateful of your parents and grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment