Society & Culture

Thursday, April 9, 2009

How did you parents react when you told them you were gay/bisexual?

I've heard of parents who aren't particularly homophobic, but react negatively when they find out their children are homosexual/bisexual.





Why do you think this is? Are they just worried about the troubles their child will inevitably face because of their sexuality, or is it something else? Is it different when it's 'your own child'?





How did your parents react?


Were the supportive?



I haven't told my parents yet, but I'm really worried about doing it.





I don't thing they'll over react, but the other day, my brother asked my Mom what "heterosexual" meant and she said "normal." :S




My dad thought i was confused, then I yelled t him and he understood.





My mom, the first thing to come out of her mouth: "are you still joining the military or what?" It was weird but my family is totally accepting. I had it easy coming out, my sister had already been out of the closet for 4 yrs.





It was nothing shocking to my parents, they told me they had suspected before but didnt want to ask.




my mom told me as long as whoever i fell in love with made me happy, she would be fine with it. well that person turned out to be a girl and so far my mom has stuck to her word. she has been there for me to talk to and although i can tell she doesnt like it, she is not going to try to change me. me father and i havent discussed it but im sure he knows, and he hasnt treated me any differently. its my sisters that are unsupportive because they are so religous, but theyre not the ones who are paying for me to go to college and such. so i have it pretty easy for now. i think its going to cross a whole new line when i wan to get married...but that is another story.




My mother is an intelligent, open minded woman, with a few gay friends. I was amazed when I came out to her, the first things she said was WHAT DID I DO WRONG. She was a bit shocked, and indicated her main reason was that she knows gays has many stresses and suffer daily from discrimination. She has supported me ever since.




i just came out 2 my mom not yet 2 my dad ( but i know my mom has probably already told him & he wants me 2 tell him but im still scared 2 come out 2 him) my mom told me "if it makes u happy but dnt ever show it in front of me" she hates all my exes & who ever i date but she doesn't intervene or try 2 separate us just talks bad about who ever i date




i havent told my mom but i have told my bff and it didnt change much most of the people i meet i tell them i am bi and they are generally ok with it considering that i almost got kick out of school for expressing my opinion to a straight girl i have had it ok especially with guys who like threesomes




My parents werent supportive at all, i was disowned and physically threatened, it was overall just a really bad experience..





I had no idea just how extreme their homphobia was and it made for a very scary an unhelpful time.




my mom didn't like it.


she just thought that i was going through a phase and that i was confused. but now she's kind of okay with it.




They accepted me with open arms. It just shows how much they really love me..





To tell you the truth, I'm the one who's still not accepting that I'm gay, but I'm trying too hard.




My father gave me the "homosexuals are unhappy and most commit suicide," speech. Mom denied it....


20 years later... neither have much to say about it... they got over it.




WELL THEIR A BUNCH OF JESUS FREAKS AND THEY FLIPPED OUT. THEY LITERALLY HATE MY ***. THAT ABOUT SUMS IT UP BUT ILL LIVE CUZ IM GETTING IMANCIPATED. WOOT!!




I wish I had a good answer. I still haven't told my wife I am bi curious so wish I knew.




Mine told me I was going to hell, and then told me that my high school turned me gay.....lol, the are still in denial

No comments:

Post a Comment